People who know me can testify to the fact that I am a confident person. I strut my style and don’t give a hoot and holler about what people think of me. I mention my faith freely in all conversations. I don’t care if people find me ridiculous for being incredibly open about my faith and about who God has made me to be. Do you want to know why I’m the way I am? The reason I am confident in my Christian identity and the woman I was created to be is because I have placed my confidence in Jesus Christ. That means that the opinions of humans do not matter; only the way that God sees me is important. I am a treasure in His eyes, and guess what, so are you.
I was not always this way. I used to feel shy, insecure, and socially awkward. I would complement others in order to devalue myself. I preferred to blend in and not attract much attention. People didn’t talk to me because I was sending signals pushing them away that said, “Don’t talk to me”. Over those couple of years God has revealed to me what a beautiful daughter of the King that I am. If you’re personally feeling the way that I used to feel, here are some passages of encouragement to remind you how precious you are.
- We are God’s prized possessions – James 1:18 (NLT), “He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession.” The Oxford Dictionary defines prize as “valued extremely highly”. This Bible verse is basically stating that we are worth a high price, which Christ paid and won the rights to us. We belong to the King of Kings, and we have been granted a place in God’s heavenly kingdom. Isn’t that incredible?
- We are God’s masterpieces – Ephesians 2:10 (NLT), “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Can you imagine a diligent artist painting a vivid image on a canvas? Each stroke he makes is filled with purpose and creativity that all fits together to form a glorious work of art. That’s how God made us. We are His masterpiece filled with personality and purpose. Every bit of us was made for a reason, and we were created to give Him glory. We were made beautifully and uniquely. Through our beauty, people should see us and glorify God because of what a Master Artist He is for making us the way He did. Just as Michelangelo was famous for his art, we should also be bringing honor to our God as His masterpieces.
- We are made new in Jesus – 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT), “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” You are not your past; you are a brand new creation in Jesus Christ. Do not focus on things you used to do; if you have asked for forgiveness then they are gone forever. The Bible mentions that God forgives and forgets. This means that you don’t need to beat yourself over the head with a staff. God is a forgiving and loving God who cares deeply for His children. The encouraging message behind this is that you are not defined by who you were but by who you are now in the family of God. You are a beautiful and precious daughter of the Lord.
- We are God’s friends – John 15:15 (MSG), “…I’m no longer calling you servants because servants don’t understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I’ve named you friends because I’ve let you in on everything I’ve heard from the Father.” Isn’t it a confidence booster knowing that we have a special relationship of closeness with the one who made the heavens and the earth? I know being able to confide in the Lord and Him confide in me through prayer and His Word gives me joy in my heart that I cannot keep to myself. I am so unworthy of God’s love towards me and yet I still receive it. It’s not about what I have done but what God has done for me.
- We are citizens of heaven – Philippians 3:20 (NLT), “But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior.” This earth below is merely our temporary home. We were created to dwell with the Lord forever. After our life here is through we shall live in God’s heavenly Kingdom. This is a reminder that there is more than our life here, and that someday we will never suffer again. We were placed on this earth for a purpose, but once that purpose has been fulfilled, all is not over. Our lives will never end, and we will be forever joyful because we have faith and have lived our lives to serve our Savior.
- We are sweet smelling aromas in Christ – 2 Corinthians 2:15 (NIV), “For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.” The Merriam Webster Dictionary defines aroma as “a distinctive pervasive and usually pleasant or savory smell.” We were created to be uniquely different and for our faith to be clearly present as it wafts through every room we go like a scrumptious freshly baked apple pie. This verse is more of a calling than an encouragement, and as God has worked on my heart over the years, I strive to be a fragrant aroma for Him.
I am confident in who I am in Christ, and I hope you are too. Losing your insecurities and gaining confidence is certainly a process. God has changed and molded me into who I am today over a period of time. I have grown and learned many of life’s tough lessons, but they have all been to shape me into the precious gem that I am in Christ today. I hope and pray that this post was an encouragement to you and has inspired you to appreciate who God has made you to be instead of criticizing yourself. I will talk to you all next Sunday.
Signed with God’s Love,